SPECIAL PROJECTS AND SPECIAL MISSIONS
Airspeed has successfully undertaken a range of special projects varying from submarine special purpose modifications through to special mission aircraft and even radioactive waste containers.
Often, these projects combine our engineering design skills with our composite manufacturing capabilities to produce unique solutions for demanding customer applications. This allows us to ‘value add’ to composites with our company’s knowledge in Low Observable (LO) materials and Radar Cross Section Reduction (RCSR).
We have a demonstrated track record of modifying fixed- and rotary-wing ‘platforms’ to produce special missions ‘capabilities’ through incorporation of radars, radomes, C2 and ISREW systems.
Airspeed holds Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) Part 21 approval for ‘structures’ and ‘flight analyst’ and has demonstrated proficiencies in Test & Evaluation (T&E) in both military and civil flight test.
Some special missions platforms we have contributed to include (please note aircraft type, registration details and customer names withheld for privacy reasons):
- A large, twin-engine turboprop fitted with X-band and Ku-band radomes and hyperspectral fairings designed and built by Airspeed and then integrated and flight tested with large Electro Optic / Infrared (EO/IR) turrets and data links.
- A highly modified Learjet for Electronic Warfare training with Airspeed engineers pivotally involved in the development of the systems architecture and sub-systems.
- Civil, single-engine turboprop fitted with mobile phone interception system.
- A civil twin-engine helicopter fitted with an instrumentation radar and tracking system for airborne Radar Cross Section (RCS) measurement system.
- Our own SIAI Marchetti S211 jet trainer for pod development and Research and Development (R&D) tasks.
For a summary of Airspeed’s capabilities please download Airspeed’s Capability Quad Chart.